Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A bitter sweet day...

Wow....I have so much to say and am not really sure how to say it. Tonight I found out that a friend of mine (David Whitney) passed away in a plane crash down in Payson. I knew him from High School and Seminary and he and his father were my dad's hometeachers back home in Oregon. When I heard he died and then saw the news story on tv, my heart just sank. He was only 25 years old and yet it was his time to go back home with god. Its just hard to fathom that someone as young as him could leave this earth so quick. He was such an incredible example to me and to those around him. He was soft spoken, loving and strong in the gospel of Jesus Christ...among many other things. I can remember sooo many times growing up when he would reach out to my dad or myself and help out with anything. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to know him and to be able to be influenced by his love, example and testimony of Christ. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to all who knew him and loved him. I know he is in a better place and that death is not the end.

With all that has transpired recently, it has caused me to think about life and how I am living. None of us knows when we will be called back to our Heavenly home. There is no time to waste and so much to be done. It is truly incredible the impact that one person can have on sooo many people. Everyone we meet we can learn from and teach at the same time. There are tons of people that have been or are now in my life that have impacted me so much. I want to be that same type of person. Its the small quiet actions in everyday life that make the biggest difference. Not that the big ones don't have an effect, cuz they do....but, its the smiles, the phone calls or texts, the kindness and love that is expressed in service by our daily deeds that speak as loud as the crash of thunder. I am grateful for those (David Whitney's) in our lives that so willingly serve and express their love through the little deeds of our daily lives. May we all strive to be a  little better and never forget how precious life is.

No comments: