Saturday, November 27, 2010

Random Thoughts....

My thoughts are going a million miles a minute. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, but I've just got to get it out. So, I went out last night with a friend to an ice skating/dance party put on for a bunch of singles. It was actually pretty fun. We got to talking about tons of stuff on the way there. One of the things we conversed about was how different people are.
I expressed some of my insecurities (we all have them) and she said something that really caused me to respect her sooo much more. She basically said we are who we are and asked why she should let others give or take away her happiness? Now, mind you...this is NOT the first time I have heard something similar about not letting others determine how I act or who I am. This meant a lot more to me because of who she is. She is not someone who the world considers 'popular', 'normal', 'skinny', etc.... So, she has struggled a lot with self-esteem and yet she is FEARLESS and always happy! She told me that she just does her thing and focuses on what she wants and what makes her love and enjoy life and doesn't let anything get in her way. It was another one of those 'a-ha!' moments.
So, we got to the venue and skated for a while...met a few people and then she was the first of us to go onto the dance floor and SHINE! It took me a while to work up the courage to go out and dance. My mind started racing and filled with 'oh those people can dance...who i am to go and dance, i don't have any moves', and 'what if they judge me', just tons of things to try and stop me from having fun. Well, sadly it took me watching my friend have the time of her life dancing by herself doing her own thing for me to realize all those things I was thinking doesn't really matter. So, I went out of my comfort zone and started jamming to the music. Once I got out there I realized not everyone knew everyone and they were just trying to have fun. I ended up meeting some really cool people and to think if I had not gone what I would have missed out on. I'm so grateful for my friend and the courage she has to SHINE even if others don't think she is 'normal'....she is awesome and an incredible example to all. If only more people could be just like her, we'd all be in a better place.

No comments: