Sunday, November 7, 2010

No Arms No Legs No Worries

Man, life can be really hard some days. In fact, there are a lot more difficult times than easy ones. I just had one of "those" days recently. I've been searching for a full-time job for quite a while and I just had another interview. I thought things were looking up...based on the phone conversation beforehand, it seemed as though this was it! This job seemed perfect. It would allow me to work swing shift so I can still attend school during the day...which is totally ideal because i'm completely against the working 9-5 and then going to night school thing. Well, after having explained my situation to this company and taking a look at the options with them, it turned out that I was going to need to continue in my search for the perfect job. I was really bummed. I know this seems like such a "minor" thing, but when you've got bills to pay and a goal to get back out on your own, this roadblock almost feels like the end of the world...especially when you've been searching and receiving a big fat 0 with results.
Well, I don't know about you, but when it rains....it POURS! I don't want this to be some sob story or a "pity me" party....but, I need to give you a bit of background in order for you to understand atleast just a piece of how I feel and to get a glimpse of where I'm coming from. After reading this, you may just roll your eyes and think I'm retarded for feeling the way I do....but, these are my trials and some of MY weaknesses...not yours! haha.
Anyways...So, life hasn't completely turned out the way I saw it all happening in my mind. In fact, it never really has. God loves surprising me! ha. But, about a year ago I decided I wanted to start going back to school to finish a degree and what that was going to be in. That was HUGE for me. I've had sooo many friends take off on missions or decide to join the bandwagon and get married, or move away or just start travelling, that I felt left behind.....I almost felt like I was a big bum with no direction waving at everyone else as they passed by. So, I went to school Spring semester and surprisingly passed most of my classes. That was awesome. But, summer came and I had no job which eventually meant...NO INCOME.....At the beginning I thought, "Hey, no big deal...I've always been able to get a job...piece of cake!" Well, thats when I got a big fat slap in my face. Nothing was happening. I applied, sent out resumes, searched for hours online and emailed resumes/applications, I even asked my friends about any job openings they may had known of....well, out of all that i ended up having one interview. At the time, it seemed promising, but again...no success. What the heck was going on?! Well, reality was certainly sinking in and I was stressing and worrying. I started asking, "Why me? Whats the point of all of this?" Then I started doubting myself...everything about me. Funny how we do that when something doesn't always go the way we had thought or planned. haha.
Well, since then I've had my moments of up and my moments of down. Luckily when fall 2010 came along, I was offered a position back where I was working at before summer began. That was a total blessing....I also had an amazing opportunity to travel to 5 different countries for 2 1/2 weeks in October. Sooo cool. But, lifes been a total rollercoaster ride and when I start to come down to the bottom and then look up....I get overwhelmed sometimes and begin wondering if what I'm doing or where I'm going is the right way. I then start feeling inadequate when I run into a bump in the road or when I have to take a different route than what I had planned...I start questioning if I really know what I'm doing and if what I'm doing is going to get me where I want to be. Sometimes, I even wonder if I know where I want to be....and somedays I just want to be rescued.
I've realized a few things tho through all of my ups and downs and...maybe these lessons haven't completely sunk in, because sometimes, it feels as though I'm having to repeat a few now and again...haha. But, heres what I've learned...
  • Life isn't always going to turn out the way we want or expect it to.
  • There's never a day that is going to be 100% perfect.
  • When life gets tough, giving up is NOT the answer.
  • Attitude is Altitude.
  • Learning is what happens in the middle of difficulty.
  • Laughter is the BEST medicine.
  • It takes faith to keep going, even when you have no idea where its leading you.
  • Comparing yourself to others isn't always the best motivator.
  • Taking the shortcut can make things harder instead of easier.
  • Doing your best IS enough.
  • Smiling makes the day brighter.
  • Gratitude helps us see clearer.
  • Weaknesses are but strengths waiting to be found.
  • Beauty comes from the inside.
  • God loves us and blesses us. He knows what we need more than what we think we need.
I have not yet mastered any of these, (its a constant process) but I know they are true principles. I found this video months ago and downloaded it to my Ipod. I found it again today and it reminded me that life is a blessing and that as long as we are doing our best and never giving up, we can achieve the impossible and we will find happiness along the way. Nick Vuijicic is one of my personal heroes....because of his amazing example. If he can do it, then I can too...and so can you. :) I'm still looking for a full-time job to coincide with school but, I'm not giving up. I can't afford to...its like that saying you always hear...~Anything worthwhile is worth the hard work and effort.~ I figure if it doesn't work out the way I want it to, something else will and it will be BETTER than I ever imagined.  :)






3 comments:

Tiff said...

You are such a strength to me. I'm sorry things still aren't perfect for you, but am glad to see the things you are learning along the way. Don't forget that friends are here for you when you need them! I love you!

littlelisalou said...

I am lucky to have such amazing friends. Life definately isn't going to be perfect, but one can always dream, right? haha. Thanks for your love and support tiff. I love you too! :)

One Awesome Girlie! said...

Love you darling! Know there is someone that is not going through all but some of the things that you are! Luvs!